About

List of Heads of School

1915-1938
The Reverend Gibson Bell

1938-1943
Mr. G. Britton Holmes

1943-1954
Miss Ann C. Almy and Miss Louise Ratledge

1954-1971
The Reverend Michael Martin

1971-1979
Mr. Derek C. Stedman

1979-1987
Mr. Thomas M Woodward, Jr.

1987-1999
Mr. Geoffrey D. Campbell

1999–2000
Mr. Donald M. Sykes, Jr.

2000-2014
Mr. Kevin R. Conklin 

2014-
Ms. Sally B. Keidel

Montgomery School

History

In 1915, the Reverend Gibson Bell founded Montgomery School as a boy’s preparatory school from the first through twelfth grades. The School was located on Montgomery Avenue in Wynnewood, from which it took its name. In 1943 the school was re-established as a co-educational elementary and middle school. In the summer of 1988, Montgomery School moved to Chester Springs, where it recently celebrated 20 years in its current Kimberton Road location. Built on the Beachwood Farm, Montgomery School continues to thrive as a PreK through eighth grade, coeducational independent school. Montgomery still focuses on educating children in mind, body, and character just as it did in its founding year - 1915. Montgomery School is founded on solid principles, which are still relevant today, as it prepares students for the 21st Century and beyond.

Time Line

2014: Sally Keidel becomes Head of School
2009: Long range Strategic Plan published.
2008: Growing Minds Expanding Vision Capital Campaign concludes having raised $6.0 million.
2007: New library named for and dedicated to longtime teacher J. Bennett Hill, Jr.
Ribbon cutting and dedication ceremony for W. Perry Gresh Academic Center.
2006: "Elevation Celebration" and groundbreaking ceremony for new Academic Center housing a library, technology center, middle school classrooms and 8th grade locker space.
2004: Ribbon cutting ceremony for the Playing Fields at annual Greek & Roman Games.
2003: Lunch is served in new Dining Room.
Ribbon cutting ceremony and dedication of Sedor Science Center.
Ground breaking for new dining room facility.
2002: Long range Strategic Plan published.
2000: Kevin R. Conklin becomes Head of School.
1999: Donald M. Sykes becomes Interim Head of School.
1998: Geoffrey D. Campbell resigns. 17 acres of contiguous land acquired from Upland Farms.
1997: Gymnasium, additional Middle School classrooms, and kitchen facilities built.
Capital Campaign raises $1.2 million.
1995: Two Middle School Classrooms built adjacent to Dining Room for music room, eighth grade homeroom, and Middle School classes.
1994: Kindergarten double-sectioning begins.
1991: IMAC Athletic League formed (Kimberton-Waldorf, Wyndcroft, Swain, Montgomery).
1990: Students in new building.
1989: Construction begins on new Schoolhouse.
1988: School year begins in temporary trailers with 83 children
1987: Groundbreaking Ceremony on property secured in Chester Springs at Route 113 and Horseshoe Trail.
1987: Mr. Geoffrey D. Campbell appointed Head of School.
Thomas M. Woodward, Jr. resigns. Board votes to move the School west, seeking an area where the population was such that the School could continue to fulfill its mission without the threat of extinction. Wynnewood property sold to Friends’ Central School.
1985: Board votes to change the name of the School back to Montgomery School and adopts a new seal and a motto.
1979: Mr. Thomas M. Woodward, Jr. appointed Head of School.
Mr. Derek C. Stedman resigns.
1972 Mr. Derek C. Stedman becomes Head of School. Establishes Parents’ Council.
Reverend Michael Martin retires.
1954: Reverend Michael Martin becomes Head of School.
Miss Almy and Miss Ratledge retire.
1943: Head of School position terminated because of financial pressures. Leadership of the School was assumed by Miss Almy and Miss Ratledge.
1938: Mr. G. Britton Holmes was hired as Head of School.
Miss Ann Almy and Miss Louise Ratledge purchased school’s assets, formed a new corporation, and reconstituted its grades. It became Montgomery Country Day School, was coeducational, and comprised kindergarten through eighth grades.
Reverend Gibson Bell concluded that Montgomery School could not continue to operate successfully as it was then financially constituted.
1926: School builds new gymnasium at cost of $25,000.
1922: School opens at its new location.
1921: School purchased 45 acres of the Hopper Estate in Wynnewood.
1915: Reverend Gibson Bell founds Montgomery School, a “Country Day School” for boys, grades one through twelve, on Montgomery Avenue (from which it takes it name).

"The school assumes the attitude that the development of the mind and physique is of little value without a like development of character."

Quote from 1915 Handbook